Here are a few things to do in St. Pete when in town!
St. Petersburg, Florida, affectionately known as St. Pete, is a vibrant city known for its pleasant weather, beautiful beaches, and rich cultural heritage. Whether you’re a history buff, nature lover, or art enthusiast, St. Pete has something for everyone. Here’s a curated list of the top 5 things to do in St. Petersburg, complemented by hotel recommendations to suit every budget.
1. Explore the Salvador Dalí Museum
- What to Do: Home to the largest collection of Dalí’s works outside Europe, the Salvador Dalí Museum offers an unparalleled look into the surreal world of Salvador Dalí through an impressive array of paintings, sculptures, and installations. Don’t miss the iconic “The Hallucinogenic Toreador” and the mesmerizing “Gala Contemplating the Mediterranean Sea.”
- Nearby Eatery: Try the Locale Market for a gourmet experience with a focus on local ingredients.
- Hidden Gem: After your museum tour, take a stroll along the nearby Mahaffey Theater’s waterfront for a serene view of Tampa Bay.
2. Visit Sunken Gardens
- What to Do: A botanical paradise in the heart of the city, Sunken Gardens is over 100 years old and showcases cascading waterfalls, beautiful demonstration gardens, and over 50,000 tropical plants and flowers. It’s a perfect spot for a peaceful walk or a photography session.
- Nearby Eatery: The Mill Restaurant offers inventive American cuisine in a cozy, rustic setting.
- Lesser-Known Fact: Look out for the garden’s flamingos, some of the oldest residents of St. Pete!
3. Stroll Along St. Pete Beach
- What to Do: Awarded as one of the best beaches in the U.S., St. Pete Beach is the city’s jewel. Whether you’re into sunbathing, swimming, or just a casual stroll along the shore, the beach’s white sands and crystal-clear waters will not disappoint.
- Nearby Eatery: Sea Critters Café offers fresh seafood with waterfront dining.
- Hidden Gem: Check out Pass-a-Grille Beach for a quieter, more laid-back beach experience.
4. Discover the Morean Arts Center
- What to Do: The Morean Arts Center is a hub for art lovers, offering galleries, studios, and workshops. The highlight is the Chihuly Collection, a stunning, permanent collection of world-renowned artist Dale Chihuly’s unique glasswork.
- Nearby Eatery: Bodega on Central for the best Cuban sandwich in town.
- Lesser-Known Fact: The center offers glass blowing demonstrations that are fascinating to watch and free to the public.
5. Bike or Hike the Pinellas Trail
- What to Do: Stretching nearly 40 miles from St. Pete to Tarpon Springs, the Pinellas Trail offers a safe, scenic route for biking, jogging, or walking. It’s a great way to explore the area’s neighborhoods, parks, and coastal areas.
- Nearby Eatery: Mazzaro’s Italian Market is perfect for grabbing a bite to refuel after your adventure.
- Hidden Gem: Look out for the trail’s murals and art installations, which add a unique cultural flavor to your journey.
Where to Stay in St. Petersburg
We have three options for you to stay at when in St. Pete. All are very good options at three price points.
The Avalon Hotel offers a hip, affordable stay with a vintage flair, located just minutes from downtown St. Pete.
Avalon Hotel Downtown St. Petersburg is in the entertainment district and near the beach. Tampa Bay and Boyd Hill Nature Park reflect the area’s natural beauty and area attractions include St. Pete Pier and Great Explorations
Hollander Hotel provides a comfortable, boutique experience with a renowned onsite restaurant and bar, nestled in the heart of the city.
The Hollander Hotel in St. Petersburg offers a boutique experience with a unique blend of vintage charm and modern amenities, making it a cozy retreat in the heart of the city. Its renowned onsite restaurant and bar, coupled with a friendly atmosphere, ensure a memorable stay for guests looking for both comfort and local flair.
The Vinoy® Renaissance St. Petersburg Resort & Golf Club is an iconic luxury destination that marries historic elegance with modern luxury. Situated along the waterfront, this landmark hotel boasts stunning architecture, upscale accommodations, and a wealth of amenities including a championship golf course, a marina, and several fine dining options, providing guests with a truly opulent experience in the heart of St. Petersburg.
Each of these activities offers a unique way to experience St. Petersburg, from its artistic heritage to its natural beauty. With accommodations ranging from budget to luxury, you can enjoy the best of St. Pete no matter what your travel budget looks like. Remember to check the latest travel advisories and opening hours before your visit to ensure a smooth and enjoyable trip. Happy exploring!